The Vail Valley Foundation (VVF) is seeking an experienced Operations Manager with attention to detail and a passion for the mission of the VVF. The position plays a key role within the larger Operations Department at the VVF and requires an individual with strong organizational, time management and leadership skills, high attention to detail, a hands-on mentality, and an ability to manage a budget.
The position will play a critical role in developing and executing the VVF’s athletic events; currently including but not limited to the GoPro Mountain Games, Xfinity Birds of Prey Audi FIS Ski World Cup, and UIAA Winter Ice Climbing and ISMF Ski Mountaineering Championships. The Operations Manager will be expected to work hand in hand with both internal VVF staff, as well as external partners. The position will additionally support operational efforts across all VVF projects (e.g., the Vail Dance Festival, ShowDown Town, Magic of Lights Vail, and VVF and YouthPower365 fundraising events, etc.).
Core duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Work with Director of Operations and Operations Team members to support and develop VVF athletic events; including but not limited to strategic planning, budgeting, venues and facilities support, relationship management and competition planning and execution.
- Oversee contracted specialists and manage key event relationships, including but not limited to the FIS, Ski & Snowboard Club Vail, US Ski Team, UIAA, ISMF and Vail Resorts/Beaver Creek Mountain/Vail Mountain.
- Manage competition development and execution for all events, including the following responsibilities:
- Contract and oversee all competition support staff for Mountain Games, including event specialists, and timing and judging staff and services for all competitions.
- Work with Mountain Games event specialists, Event Director(s) and the VVF Operations, Sales and Marketing Team to continue to develop existing and new competitions to continually grow and improve the event.
Birds of Prey:
- Serve as primary contact and VVF staff member to liaison between FIS, USSS, Talons Crew, Beaver Creek Race Department and Ski & Snowboard Club Vail for all on-hill needs and coordination.
- Ensure on-hill needs are being met, event standards are set, and all on-hill groups are meeting expected obligations.
- Facilitate on-hill supplies are provided including but not limited to air fence, utilities, signage, access control arm bands, slipper bibs, etc.
- Serve as primary support to Competition Secretary and assist with delegation and execution of registration setup, including team registration packets and race office supplies, teams equipment truck arrival from Canada and wax Cabin buildout, setup and assignments.
- USSS on-hill support including branding assets.
- Coordinate with USADA on anti-doping control operations. This includes coordinating the accreditation and logistics of necessary personnel and ensuring volunteers, ambassadors and athlete logistics are confirmed and communicated.
- Contract official event weather service
UIAA Winter Ice Climbing & ISMF Ski Mountaineering Championships:
- Serve as primary contact and VVF staff member to liaison between ISMF and Vail Mountain.
- Serve as primary contact and VVF staff member to liaison between UIAA, Vail Mountain, and Town of Vail
- Assist with the planning and execution of any ancillary competitions during the larger event window (e.g. participatory races), contracting and serving as the main point of contact for any specialists required.
- Ensure event needs are being met, event standards are set, and all groups are meeting expected obligations.
- Serve as primary support to competition managers and assist with execution of registration, results, timing, and competition logistics.
- Coordinate with USADA on anti-doping control operations with the UIAA. This includes coordinating the accreditation and logistics of necessary personnel and ensuring volunteers, ambassadors and athlete logistics are confirmed and communicated.
- Work with the Operations Team on necessary competition venues and application details for all required permits and space use agreements.
- Facilitate all competition supplies are provided including but not limited to bibs, plates, race numbers, gates, etc.
- Support operational team efforts as necessary across all VVF events.
- Maintain a positive culture within our operations team and event staff and contractors.
- Assist with the development of strategic plan and departmental goals.
- Build and maintain important relationships within the VVF team and the greater VVF community.
- Work with team to create and manage comprehensive event build out, tear down and logistics schedules.
- Work with the OSM (Operations, Sales, Marketing) Team to continually develop and improve our VVF events.
- Provide support across all other VVF events and collaborate with other operational leads on best practices and event development.
- Exceptional management skills, both strategic and operational, with at least 5 years of experience in event operations.
- Effective organization and time management skills to ensure deadlines and program objectives are met.
- Previous experience working and excelling in a fast-paced, multi-level, project-based environment with an emphasis on timelines, quality and delivery.
- Capable of remaining focused and calm under stress and able to adapt to changing conditions quickly.
- Self-initiative, attention to detail and a customer-centric philosophy.
- Exceptional relationship management, problem-solving and negotiation skills.
- Ability to demonstrate tact, and a clear, courteous and professional manner when dealing with coworkers, public, partners and donors.
Additional Preferred Experience:
- Strong computer skills with general knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook), mapping platforms/software and online permitting applications are a plus.
- Proven ability to make critical decisions independently without supervision.
- Team approach with an ability to work closely and cooperatively with internal and external associates.
- Excellent oral, written and communication skills.
- Working knowledge of budgets, forecasts and profit and loss statements; ability to demonstrate fiscal responsibility for all assigned projects.
- Willingness to work irregular and long hours during events.
- Willingness to work in outdoor conditions with variable weather.
- Physically ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to successfully pass a background check.
- Successful candidates must provide proof of vaccination for Covid-19 due to the nature of the work of the Vail Valley Foundation. Candidates needing accommodation may be considered depending on the essential functions of the job.
This is a salaried, full time year-round position eligible for all VVF employment benefits.
Salary Range: $50,000 – $65,000 annually, based on experience
Our employees are a critical part of who we are and employee wellness is an important priority for our organization. As a result, we offer an array of employee benefits, including but not limited to:
- Employee and family health insurance plan
- Health savings account
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance
- Supplemental insurance options
- Short and long term disability plans
- 401k retirement plan with company match
- Paid time off
- Employee Assistance Program
- Added Perks!
- Tickets to shows at the VPAC and GRFA
- Discounted gym membership options
- FREE ski pass