The Development Director will work closely with the entire Vail Valley Foundation development team to establish and implement structured and sustainable fundraising strategies. The Development Director is responsible for cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and fulfillment of donor programs tied to the educational programs of YouthPower365. The Development Director is responsible for coordinating the full range of activities required to expand and strengthen the Education development programs of the Vail Valley Foundation. The Development Director will have primary responsibility for developing strategies for major donors/gifts for education, while supporting the efforts of the development team in meeting the fundraising goals of major, midlevel and grassroots gifts. The Development Director will report to the VP of Development and work in partnership with the YouthPower365 Executive Director and the VVF’s Board Education Committee to achieve the Education Development objectives. The Development Director will have specific fundraising goals each year and oversee the YP365 Development & Event Officer.
- Enthusiasm and passion for the mission and vision of YouthPower365, the educational arm of the Vail Valley Foundation.
- Enthusiasm and appreciation for the other programs and events of the Vail Valley Foundation in the areas of athletics and the arts.
- Ability to lead a team.
- Strong leadership, initiative, and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with board members, funding partners, donors, and volunteers.
- Excellent management and organizational skills, ability to work on multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously with the capacity to generate innovative solutions and strategies to cultivate donor relationships and fundraising initiatives.
- Ability to develop, analyze, and conceptualize development goals and strategies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills that consistently communicate key messaging and mission.
- Must maintain respectful and appropriate relationships with staff, collaborative partners, donors, and program participants at all levels of the organization, demonstrating sensitivity to all ethnic, racial, and economic backgrounds.
- Good principles of management and systems and development planning knowledge.
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information & materials, willingness to cooperate with diverse donors and community groups.
- Ability to develop, prepare, and manage fundraising budgets.
Proficient understanding and experience with annual gifts, Donor Advised Funds, endowments, planned giving and grant writing.
- Working knowledge of the Colorado Childcare Tax Credit (“CCTC”).
- Willingness to collaborate with the greater VVF Development team and the Vail Valley Foundation staff as available and necessary.
- Proven ability to consistently accept feedback, set, and meet (or exceed) goals.
- Proven track record of reaching or exceeding fundraising goals.
- Proven ability to ask Donors for gifts.
- College degree
- Minimum of 7 years in a nonprofit fundraising leadership role
- Leadership skills; minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience
- Ability to work nights and weekends
Fundraising Development – Individual & Corporate Giving
- Collaboratively develop annual and long-term plans for fund development to successfully solicit and increase YouthPower365 contributions and base of support at all giving levels.
- Develop clear goals and execute strategies to identify, cultivate, and recognize all major donors, and prospects.
- Oversee implementation for all major, mid-level and grassroots donors, events, and giving campaigns, while working with the YP365 Development & Event Officer to meet education fundraising goals at all giving levels.
- Support YP365 Development & Event Officer on all corporate sponsor prospecting, proposals, and solicitations.
- Work collaboratively with the SVP of Education & Arts, the YP365 Development & Event Officer, and the VVF Development team to ensure coordination of donor solicitation and fundraising strategies that align with YP365 Development as well as overall VVF Development goals.
- Ability to maintain long-term relationships with partners, staff, board of directors, and donors.
- Maintain relationships and donor strategies with existing donors by meeting and communicating with those donors on a regular basis and executing outlined strategies.
- Work with the Education Committee and other auxiliary boards and/or committees to create successful fundraising events, campaigns, and other initiatives.
- Support the Director of Capacity, Grants & Sustainability by prospecting for potential new funding from foundations; build strong relationships with key personnel from foundations currently supporting YP365, edit and provide supporting feedback for all grant applications.
- Create fundraising strategies for events, by identifying, coordinating, and soliciting key sponsors, including both individual sponsors and corporate sponsors.
- Guide the YP365 Development & Event Officer to develop sponsorship packets for primarily mid-level and grassroots special events.
- Plan and coordinate donor program tours and lunch and learns, including invitations, invitation lists, tour logistics and timeline, program staff coordination, and follow-up.
- Together with YP365 Development & Event Officer, coordinate Star Dancing Gala corporate sponsorships to reach or exceed revenue goal, audience development, securing and coordinating fulfillment of live auction items.
- Provide guidance to YP365 Development & Event Officer on all other fundraising events, including but not limited to annual Turkey Trot, PowHER Up for Success, Girl PowHER Fashion Show, and Colorado Gives Day.
- Collaborate with the marketing department to develop and implement all education messaging, marketing, and advertising efforts, inclusive of those related to
- Provide follow up to all event donors following the event and develop donor strategies with the YP365 Development & Event Officer for new donors.
- Support the VVF development and sales team by actively engaging in all key events: First Light, First Tracks, Black Diamond Ball, Go Pro Mountain Games, Vail Dance Festival and Birds of Prey. Attend Bravo and Vail Dance Festival performances and provide donor support in the Patron’s Plaza.
This is a salaried, full time year-round position eligible for all VVF employment benefits.
Our employees are a critical part of who we are and employee wellness is an important priority for our organization. As a result, we offer an array of employee benefits, including but not limited to:
- Employee and family health insurance options
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance
- Supplemental insurance options
- Short and long term disability plans
- 401k retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Employee Assistance Program
- Added Perks!
- Tickets to shows at the VPAC and GRFA
- Discounted gym membership options
- VIP tickets to VVF events
- FREE ski pass