Vail Valley Athlete Commission Program
What is it?
Local Pepi Gramshammer originally conceived the idea for the Athlete Commission as a method for the community to provide financial support for the Valley’s deserving athletes. The program supports those athletes participating in international competitions with components of scoring and ranking. Currently, the commission consists of three funding partners: the Vail Valley Foundation, the Town of Vail, and Vail Resorts, Inc.
Guidelines and criteria
All applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for funding:
1. Applicants must compete in international competition, outside of North America (special consideration will be given to major events like World Cup or World Championships).
2. Applicants must be residents of the Vail community for a minimum of three years and represent the Vail Valley in competition.
3. Applicants must compete as individuals; no teams will be considered for funding. Team members may apply as an individual ONLY if his/her position on the team is based on individual ranking.
4. Applicants must be a minimum age of 15 years; younger competitors will be considered on an individual basis.
In addition to these criteria, other consideration for funding will come from:
1. Athletes level of financial need.
2. Level of competition in which the athlete participates.
While not a requirement, the commission hopes to honor those athletes that in turn honor their community. Whenever possible, representation of a community logo is expected and greatly appreciated.
Funding is not available to athletes participating in fundraising and/or awareness events. Although the cause is most certainly worthwhile, the funding is designed for those participating in competitions of scoring and ranking. Additionally, funding is not available to seasonal athletes while they are coaching or attending seasonal training camps or to persons with a criminal record.
Please note that the commission board reserves the right to review all applications and allocate funds on an individual basis.
Two separate opportunities for application will exist, however applicants who meet the necessary criteria can only receive funding once per calendar year:
For Winter 2015/2016, applications must be received by October 30, 2015 and funds will be distributed by November 13, 2015.